Requirements for a bachelor of arts degree:
- Complete a minimum of 120 credit hours of study, at least 60 of which or at least the last 36 credits before graduation are at Southern Virginia. No more than 9 credit hours will be granted for internship courses.
- Complete all requirements of the Southern Virginia Core.
- Complete all requirements of at least one major.
- Earn a minimum grade point average of 2.00 on all coursework taken at the university.
- Comply with all university standards, regulations, and procedures, from the date of matriculation through the date of final graduation.
A Note on Majors and Minors:
The bachelor’s degree requires a major; a minor is optional. Majors are offered in art, biochemistry, biology, business management and leadership, computer science, English, classical studies, family and child development, history, liberal arts, mathematics, music, philosophy, politics, psychology, Spanish, and theatre. Minors are offered in art, biochemistry, biology, business management and leadership, chemistry, creative writing, early childhood education, computer science, English, family and child development, history, mathematics, music, philosophy, politics, Spanish, and theatre. Courses satisfying Southern Virginia Core requirements may also be used to satisfy major and minor requirements. A student must declare one of the university’s current majors with the Registrar’s Office by the end of his or her sophomore year and hold a graduation audit with the registrar by the end of his or her junior year. Failure to do so may jeopardize the student’s ability to graduate in four years. If the university discontinues a major or minor program, those students who had declared the major or minor prior to its discontinuation will be allowed to complete it within two years of the cancellation, but no other student may declare it.