Psychology is the science concerned with the human mind and how thoughts, impulses, and habits translate into manifest behavior. It goes beyond mental health and explores issues including emotions, productivity, development, perception, happiness, motivation, and creativity.
The psychology major at Southern Virginia offers students the opportunity to explore the “mystery” within these important areas. Because psychology is so diverse in its focus and research, it also prepares students for a wide variety of careers. It helps students develop universally useful skills such as communication, critical-thinking, and a proficiency for analyzing data. So if you’re curious about why we do the things that we do and are ready for a rewarding career, consider studying psychology at Southern Virginia.
The Learning Objectives for the psychology major at Southern Virginia are aligned with the American Psychological Association’s (APA) “Guidelines for the Undergraduate Psychology Major.” Graduates of the psychology program are expected to demonstrate the following:
- Fundamental knowledge of psychological concepts and principles.
- Understanding of scientific reasoning and problem solving, including research methods.
- Familiarity with ethical standards and socially responsible behaviors.
- Effective written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Preparation for future employment and/or further education.
Program Coordinator: Prof. Alan Whitehead
Major Requirements (36 credit hours)
Major Core (15 credit hours):
- PSY 201 General Psychology (3)
- PSY 230 Developmental Psychology (3)
- PSY 290 Research Methods (3)
- PSY 345 Abnormal Psychology (3)
- PSY 498 Senior Thesis (3)
Major Electives: an additional 21 credit hours from among the following:
- MAT 221 Statistics (3)
- PSY 215 History and Systems of Psychology (3)
- PSY 220 Cultural Psychology (3)
- PSY 223 Performance & Sports Psychology (3)
- PSY 275R Topics in Psychology var.
- PSY 320 Social Psychology (3)
- PSY 323 Industrial/Organizational Psychology (3)
- PSY 325 Psychology of Leadership (3)
- PSY 327 Psychology of Humor (3)
- PSY 330 Cognitive Psychology (3)
- PSY 333 Psychology of Learning (3)
- PSY 335 Positive Psychology (3)
- PSY 348 Addictions & Addictive Behavior (3)
- PSY 350 Biological Psychology (3)
- PSY 355 Theories of Personality (3)
- PSY 360 Ethics in Psychology (3)
- PSY 375R Topics in Psychology (var.)
- PSY 399R Internship/Practicum (var.)
- PSY 430 Experimental Psychology (3)
- PSY 440 Counseling Psychology (3)
- PSY 475R Senior Topics in Psychology (var.)
- PSY 499 Internship/Practicum (var.)
Download the Psychology Major Checklist